Railways to royalty - a nostalgic look at Ely and Cambridgeshire
- Credit: MARY NEAL
From traffic wardens to the wonder of Woolworth – from railways to royalty.
The archives from Ely Cambridgeshire Old Photos Local History Facebook coupled with the work of historian Mike Petty combine to offer historical gems.
Our delve into the past this week also includes a famous local boxer and a double look at trains. There’s the transformation that diesel from steam brought for drivers.
And, sadly, recollections of a train crash at Stretham Fen.
On a lighter note, it is to Cambridge itself Mike Petty takes us, exploring old street lamps and celebrations for coronation of King George V.
Join the page - which has thousands of members - online.
You may also want to watch:
(Images are credited to individual members of the Ely Cambridgeshire Old Photos Pictures Local History Facebook group. And, where appropriate, to Mike Petty).
- 1 Parish council protests after developers switch care home for homes
- 2 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 3 Parish council fails to win vote of confidence
- 4 Charity shop ‘urgently appealing’ for volunteers after reopening
- 5 Tea rooms may become a bedsit
- 6 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 7 OBE for former King's Ely principal
- 8 Ely’s most famous cat is back for more adventures
- 9 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 10 'A crash waiting to happen' say police