Ely cadets mark anniversary of formation with parade
AIR Cadets from 1094 Ely Squadron joined dozens of other cadets in the Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire Wing to celebrated the anniversary of the Air Training Corps with a parade through Newmarket.
More than 100 cadets and staff marched through the town led by the drum section of 2417 Newmarket Squadron for the parade, which also included squadrons from Cambridge, Haverhill, Sawston and Linton.
The cadets and staff marched to St Marys Church for a church service and en route Squadron Leader Tim Brain, took the salute as the cadets and staff marched past. During the service rousing hymns were sung and prayers were said for the Queen, the Royal Air Force along with for cadets and staff. The cadets also had an opportunity to renew their cadet promise.
The Air Training Corps was celebratings its 72nd anniversary, having formed from the Air Defence Cadet Corps in 1941 when the government at the time realised the important training that was being delivered to young men who then went on to serve in the military.
Squadron Leader Tim Brain, said: “The cadets and staff were smartly turned out and represented the Air Training Corps with pride. It was a real honour to see so many young people come together and show off this fantastic youth organisation”
You may also want to watch:
INFORMATION: Visit www.1094Ely.co.uk to find out more about joining the cadets.
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 3 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 4 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 5 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 7 East Cambridgeshire is ‘home to the noisiest neighbours in the country’
- 8 Three hare coursers - with three children and three dogs in car - fined for damaging crops
- 9 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 10 Grants available for organisations in Ely