Ely cadets mark anniversary of formation with parade
AIR Cadets from 1094 Ely Squadron joined dozens of other cadets in the Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire Wing to celebrated the anniversary of the Air Training Corps with a parade through Newmarket.
More than 100 cadets and staff marched through the town led by the drum section of 2417 Newmarket Squadron for the parade, which also included squadrons from Cambridge, Haverhill, Sawston and Linton.
The cadets and staff marched to St Marys Church for a church service and en route Squadron Leader Tim Brain, took the salute as the cadets and staff marched past. During the service rousing hymns were sung and prayers were said for the Queen, the Royal Air Force along with for cadets and staff. The cadets also had an opportunity to renew their cadet promise.
The Air Training Corps was celebratings its 72nd anniversary, having formed from the Air Defence Cadet Corps in 1941 when the government at the time realised the important training that was being delivered to young men who then went on to serve in the military.
Squadron Leader Tim Brain, said: “The cadets and staff were smartly turned out and represented the Air Training Corps with pride. It was a real honour to see so many young people come together and show off this fantastic youth organisation”
You may also want to watch:
INFORMATION: Visit www.1094Ely.co.uk to find out more about joining the cadets.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 6 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 7 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 8 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 9 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 10 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats