Ely teenagers raise hundreds for St John Ambulance cadets with 100-mile sponsored bike ride around Cambridgeshire
- Credit: Archant
Two Ely teenagers raised £750 for the city’s St John Ambulance cadets by completing a 100-mile sponsored bicycle ride around Cambridgeshire.
Oscar Barter and Alex Baldock, both 15, originally aimed to raise £400 – to buy the cadets a new flag which they could wave in the next Ely Remembrance Day parade.
However, by raising almost double their target, the cadets unit will use the extra money to buy training automated external defibrillators, training EpiPens and more.
Kat Cattani, unit manager of the cadet group in Ely, said: “It was organised totally off their own backs.
“The bike ride took them 11 hours – but they stopped off a few times.
You may also want to watch:
“The boys have done amazingly well and I’m very proud of them.”
She added that the unit is always looking our for new recruits – especially on the adult side.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 Christmas comes early as festive lights couple hold trial switch-on
Teaching takes place at a weekly unit meeting and the Ely Cadets meet on Wednesdays between 6.30pm and 8pm at Ely Youth Forum on Barton Road.
Email Kat.Cattani@sja.org.uk or call 07943 072172 if you would like to join.