‘Significant risks’ add to final bill for Ely Southern Bypass, county councillors warned
- Credit: Archant
Some major issues have been identified with construction of the Ely Southern Bypass that could add “significant” costs to the final bill.
A report to county councillors points out that “whilst work is progressing on site, some significant risks have emerged requiring additional work”.
These include Network Rail requirements, the diversion of statutory undertakers’ plant, buildability issues arising from the complex V piers and additional temporary works resulting from poor and variable ground conditions.
The report says: “These will increase the outturn cost of the scheme significantly and are currently being considered with the contractor to minimise the impact on the project and to reduce the cost impact.”
Completion date is likely to be late summer/autumn 2018 depending on weather.
You may also want to watch:
The county council says it is working with the contractor to identify options to mitigate against delay and minimise costs.
“A number of value engineering opportunities are also being explored,” notes the report.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 3 300 take part in autonomous shuttle passenger trial
- 4 A10 speed limit reduced at Waterbeach after death of baby Louis Thorold
- 5 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 6 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 7 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 8 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 9 Not breaking news: Vicar has lucky escape, station closes and hotel sold
- 10 Open air theatre is back in Ely this weekend
The Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) committed £22 million to the project with the remaining funds split between the county council (£8 million), district council (£1 million) and Network Rail (£5 million).
Work began on site last March
VolkerFitzpatrick was appointed in summer 2016 to build it.