Ely branch of Tesco sets its sights on new range of services
- Credit: Archant
Supermarket giant Tesco could soon be offering key-cutting and dry-cleaning at its Ely store under plans submitted to East Cambridgeshire District Council.
The retailer has announced a joint-venture with cobbler Timpson that could see a “retail pod” set up outside its Angel Drove superstore, offering customers dry-cleaning, key-cutting and jewellery repair.
The 24sq m pod will sit within 70 metres of the store entrance – adjacent to its access route to Ely train station.
Tesco told the district council: “The unit is part of a joint venture by Timpson and Tesco to offer the customer the convenience of providing Timpson’s services - dry cleaning, shoe repair, key cutting, jewellery repairs, watch repairs, engraving, etc, within the Tesco grounds.
“The position of the pod has been subject to stringent health and safety checks to ensure the customer is well protected from car park traffic.
You may also want to watch:
“The look of the pod has been designed to retain the recognised Timpson branding whilst blending with the architectural vernacular of the Tesco store.”
A decision on the plans is expected within the next eight weeks. To view the plans, or to have a say, visit www.eastcambs.gov.uk
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 6 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 7 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 8 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 9 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 10 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats