Ely boy Alfie, 8, embarks on summer challenge in aid of sick children at Great Ormond Street Hospital
- Credit: Archant
An eight year-old boy who is taking on a summer holiday fitness challenge to shed some weight has already raised almost £1,000 for charity.
Alfie McCreadie, 8, is walking for 20 minutes every day for the 46 days of the summer holidays in aid of Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity.
His first aim was to raise £100, but, just a week and a bit into the challenge, he’s nearly at 10 times that total.
His aunt Susie Battey said: “Alfie was getting bullied about his weight at school - he would come home in tears - so he decided to turn everything around and do something positive.
“He asked about all the different charities and when he heard about Great Ormond Street he said he didn’t like the thought of children being very poorly.”
You may also want to watch:
You can chart Alfie’s progress at the Facebook page Alfie’s Summer Challenge
To sponsor Alfie, visit www.justgiving.com/Alfie-McCreadie.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 8 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 9 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
- 10 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol