Ely banking branch helps Multiple Sclerosis Society sufferers get active with £5,000 donation
- Credit: Archant
The MS Society’s Cambridge and District branch has received a funding boost to provide specialist weekly exercise classes for people with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) who live in Cambridgeshire.
A donation of £5,000 was provided by the Discovery Foundation, supported by the Ely branch of Santander, which offers grants to UK registered charities for projects that help disadvantaged people in local communities.
The grant will help improve the overall health of people with MS through attending the exercise classes which will enable them to stay as mobile and active as possible.
Muscle strength and general fitness can improve as a result of an exercise program specifically tailored for individuals who experience a broad range of MS Symptoms. Exercise can also help with the management of weight control as well as providing a weekly opportunity to meet up and make new friends.
Susan Dillon, chairman at the MS Society’s Cambridge and District Branch said: “This donation will support both our Wednesday exercise class for people with differing levels of disability and the Thursday class for newly diagnosed people. We are extremely grateful for this grant from The Discovery Foundation.”
You may also want to watch:
Sally Picking, branch manager at Santander’s Ely branch, was happy to lend a helping hand. She said: “The Discovery Foundation makes hundreds of donations every year to good causes throughout the UK. Our branch is committed to playing a key part in the community and we are delighted to be supporting the MS Society’s Cambridge and District Branch and hope the donation makes a real difference to local people.”
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'