Ely artist Ted Coney prepares to showcase new painting ahead of TV show
- Credit: Archant
Ely artist Ted Coney is opening his house again from Sunday April 10 for his eighth season to give guided tours around his work.
All his paintings are about family life and family relationships and Ted has been working on the same theme for nearly 50 years.
“Don’t worry, I only talk about seven paintings on each tour,” said Ted. “Each tour lasts about an hour and begins with a short film to introduce the work and ends in the studio to see the latest painting in progress.”
This year’s painting, entitled ‘Bicycle Thieves’, is about marriage and the changing attitudes to it since the Second World War.
Ted made drawings of his 1940 bicycle and uses it in a symbolic way in the painting. He has owned the same bicycle for the last 40 years and still uses it to travel to work.
You may also want to watch:
“It did actually get stolen in Cambridge several years ago,” said Ted. “But after five days I managed to track it down.”
The bicycle is also going to be featured on Cambridge TV, in a film being made about Ted’s work as one of six arts programmes to be shown in the near future.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 5 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 Labour backs calls for extra Covid-19 safety measures in schools
To book your tour at Ted Coney’s Family Portraits and get more details visit www.tedconeysfamilyportraits.co.uk or email email@example.com or phone 01353 650038.