New Ely Area Music Centre to ‘help take young musicians to the next level’
- Credit: Archant
A new project to help young musicians take their music to the next level is being launched in Ely at the end of September.
The Ely Area Music Centre, run by Cambridgeshire Music, launches on Saturday, September 29 and will run every week during term time.
It is open to school-age students who have reached at least Grade 2 on an orchestral instrument and the first session will be free to attend.
Helen Allen, Cambridgeshire Music development manager who will be leading the centre, said: “Many children in the area have very limited opportunities to play music with others and accessing the ensembles that are run in Cambridge is often not practical.
“The Area Music Centre is all about getting them together and developing their ensemble skills with the support of experienced, professional musicians.
“By the end of the year, they will have grown as musicians, made new friends, and learned how to play some really exciting, challenging music together.”
Each week, students will have the chance to develop their technical skills with professional musicians, rehearse and perform as part of a full orchestra, and work with young people from other schools who love making music just as much as they do.
- 1 Man caught red-handed after series of drug raids
- 2 Post office and village shop moves into old Baptist chapel
- 3 Baby murder trial jury told dad was angry at social services involvement
- 4 Aspiring photographer, 10, captures Ely's winter sunrise on camera
- 5 'She had her whole life ahead of her': Charity skydive in memory of fatal crash victim
- 6 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 7 Eco-home will be icing on the cake for 'Good Life' couple
- 8 Sewage upgrade to continue in village with two-way traffic lights
- 9 Baby murder trial told of midwife's concerns
- 10 'Shocking' abuse left partner 'vulnerable and afraid'
Each of the sessions, held at King’s Ely from 10am, will see students working in specialist groups focusing on woodwind, string, brass or percussion during the first half of the morning, before coming together to play as a full orchestra during the second half.
Councillor Lis Every, local member for Ely North, said, “I’m really pleased to see the Ely Area Music Centre opening this September.
“There are so many talented young musicians in Ely and the surrounding area but many of them do not currently have the opportunity to play in orchestras and bands – this new centre provides a great opportunity for them to take their musical learning and playing to a new level.”
The Ely Area Music Centre will be running at King’s Ely Junior School, Barton Road, Ely, CB7 4DB, from 10am to 12.30pm every Saturday from September 29.
Anyone is welcome to attend and the opening session is free. For more information, please visit: www.cambridgeshiremusic.org.uk