Aquafest 2021 cancelled due to Covid uncertainty
- Credit: ARCHANT
Ely Aquafest 2021 has been cancelled because of “uncertainty” about what Covid-19 restrictions will be in place by summer.
The Rotary Aquafest committee members made the decision on Thursday because, alongside concerns it may be difficult to maintain social distancing, the committee has received fewer sponsor companies this year.
Viv Doji, Aquafest Committee chair, said: “There were many reasons for cancelling this popular community event.
“Mainly it was the uncertainty over how the easing of Covid restrictions will work out.
“Aquafest is not an event that can be socially distanced in any way and it was felt that by July and possibly August there would still be some restrictions on large events.
You may also want to watch:
“There was also the thought that some stall holders, especially those who have close interactions with the public, such as food and drink providers, bouncy castles and funfairs, may not wish to attend.
“These together with the toilets may be difficult to maintain Covid-19 safe.”
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 7 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 10 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
Whilst the Rotary Clubs of Ely were “desperate to hold Aquafest this year, the uncertainty of where we will be in July and the safety of everyone, made the decision to cancel the only one they could make.
“We apologise to the Ely public for this cancellation, but we hope that they will understand.”
The committee is, however, already planning for Rotary Aquafest 2022 - with a date set for July 3.
“We are asking all the acts who were coming this year to put that date in their diaries.
“And, if you are a business looking for advertising opportunities, please consider sponsoring by emailing email@example.com.
“Also it gives all those raft builders out there time to build spectacular rafts for the Ely Raft Race.”