Ely Apple Festival 2020 cancelled due to coronavirus pandemic
- Credit: Archant
This year’s Ely Apple Festival has been cancelled due to safety concerns caused by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
The festival, which was due to be held on Palace Green on October 17, will no longer go ahead say VisitEly, who organise the event.
Anna Bennett, Ely’s town centre and tourism manager, said: “The apple festival has been an integral part of Ely’s events calendar, and after much consideration, it was felt the public’s safety regarding social distancing could not be guaranteed.
“It’s such a shame that we cannot put this wonderful event on for our visitors and community this year.
“In previous years it attracted well over 5,000 people, but we felt the risk would be too high to the public.”
You may also want to watch:
Plans are however already being put in place for next year’s event, with Anna adding that “my team are now using this time to plan a bigger, better event for 2021, and what will be the 21st year of Apple Festival in Ely”.
A date will be announced soon for the 2021 festival.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry