Mayor, councillors and Ukel-Ely group members among guests at Ely and District Parkinson’s Support Group meeting
- Credit: Archant
The Mayor of Ely, councillors and members of the Ukel-Ely group were among the guests at The Ely and District Parkinson’s Support Group’s February meeting.
Members were joined by Mayor Mike Rouse and two councillors - Sarah Bellow and Rebecca Denness - along with Ukel-Ely group members Nick Dowdy and Rosie Holliday.
In 2019 the support group was awarded a £500 grant from Ely City Council which for the support of the Parkinson's vocal exercise group; the Ukel-Ely Group also raised £100 for the same group.
Caroline Nicklinson, lead volunteer, said: "The support group had invited the mayor, councillors and members of the band to see first-hand what a positive impact the vocal exercise group was having on members.
"Singing workshops are fun, sociable and an enjoyable way of exercising while strengthening the muscle groups needed for speech and lung function.
You may also want to watch:
"We thought it was important that those members of the community who had generously raised money and donated grants had the opportunity to see first-hand what an impact the vocal exercise group has on members.
"It was also a fantastic opportunity for the group to perform at a meeting and we would like to take this opportunity to thank all those people who have and continue to support our group."
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
The support group was also joined by a member of Healthwatch who provided an update on the work of Healthwatch and a physiotherapist from PossAbility who took members through a gentle exercise session.
The vocal exercise group meets at The Scout Hut on St John's Road in Ely on Fridays from 10.30am-12pm.
If you have parkinson's or multiple sclerosis and would like more information, contact Chris Bent on 07718 191482.