Digging for victory with the Ely allotment holders
- Credit: Archant
Green fingered gardeners gathered for a yearly presentation night with the Ely Allotment Association.
The awards evening was held at Centre E and awards were presented by the Mayor, Councillor Mike Rouse.
He said: “I was delighted to present the annual awards for the Allotments Society. Congratulations ot everyone who dug, sowed, weeded and pruned for victory.”
The evening included presentations on aspects of allotment holding and a talk was given by Les Turner on the pruning of soft fruit trees which will followed up by an on-site workshop demonstration to be arranged for the appropriate time early next year.
The second talk was by Peter Gladders, a retired ADAS plant pathologist on ‘crop disease control on allotments’.
You may also want to watch:
• The next event is on Monday 24 at 7.30pm at Centre E, Barton Road. The City of Ely Allotments Association will be holding a special meeting to dissolve the Allotments Association in order to form the City of Ely Allotments and Gardens Association. A new committee will be formed to manage the new (merged) association.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash