The “outstanding achievements” of Ely air cadets celebrated at annual awards night
- Credit: Mike Rouse
Cadets from 1094 Squadron Royal Air Force (City of Ely) held their annual event where Flight Sergeant Rory Donoghue, the Lord Lieutenant’s Cadet for Cambridgeshire, was awarded Cadet of the Year.
Deputy Lord Lieutenant Colin Elsden, the evening's Guest of Honour, said: "It is a pleasure and my privilege to recognise the outstanding achievements of so many fine young men and women who embody all the virtues of what it means to be an Air Cadet."
Other honoured guests included Ely's own Mayor Mike Rouse and David Martin, Chair of Ely Royal British Legion.
Mr Rouse said: "What a terrific group of polite, smart, young citizens we have and it will be a pleasure to give the Air Cadets the Freedom of the City on 8th May.
"I am not surprised that they are the top Squadron in Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire and here's best wishes for further recognition."
You may also want to watch:
Cadets who received awards were:-
- Flight Sergeant Rory Donoghue (Cadet of the Year)
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- Sergeant Daniel Leah (Cadet Non-Commissioned Officer of the Year)
- Cadet Scarlet Minchin (The Steve Johnson Recruit of the Year Trophy)
- Cadet Jake Earl Clarke (The Fred Pizey Citizenship Trophy)
- Corporal Soairse McNeil (The John Grant Endeavour Award)
- Corporal Izzy Murfitt (The Daniel O'Donovan Deportment Trophy)
- Cadet Natalie Freeman (First Aid Award)
- Flight Sergeant Rory Donoghue (The Lavenham Green Shield for high acheivement)
- Civcom Secretary Kathy Munday and Civcom Secretary Natasha Talbot (The Commanding Officers plate for outstanding dedication to the Squadron)
- 12 years long service award (Ex-civcom Treasurer Mark Ascough)
- Cadets Jay Carter, Lewys Barton, Polly Nickless and James Munday (Commanding Officers Commendations for dedication)
Staff, committee members, parents and cadets also attended the event. A tea and cakes sale was held ahead of the awards to raise funds for a new squadron minibus, details of which can be found on the squadron Facebook page.
- Does your community organisation have an event coming up? Email details to email@example.com.