Ely air cadet tops the league
- Credit: Archant
Sergeant Rory Donoghue from 1094 (City of Ely) Squadron Royal Air Force Air Cadets made it to the big leagues last weekend.
Rory played in the Air Cadets National Rugby Tournament against cadets from every corner of the UK.
The tournament was held in driving freezing rain at the home of The Royal Air Force, The RAF Officer Training College at Cranwell.
Sergeant Donoghue was the only cadet to be selected to represent Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire in the Central and East Region Rugby team. Rory played a key role on the wing and topped off a great performance with a fantastic try sprinting the full length of the pitch.
Having won all three of their qualifying matches the Central and East team faced Wales in the final match.
You may also want to watch:
In a hard fought battle against determined opponents the East of England cadets triumphed 12-5 over the Welsh being crowned national champions in a match noted for its fair play and sportsmanship on both sides.
If you are aged 12 to 17 and would like to join the air cadets in your spare time the cadets meet every Monday and Thursday evening at 7.30pm at The Cadet Centre, Heaton Drive, CB7 4RS.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 8 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 9 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'