Ely Business Awards: Exclusive Q&A with Ellutia Ltd – last year’s ‘excellent example’ Innovation Award winner
- Credit: Archant
The Innovation Award is one of the most popular categories in the Ely Business Awards – entrants must show how they have introduced new ideas, techniques and technology into their business.
To enter, businesses must outline their organisation, explain what the idea or product is, how they have implemented or developed it and what the impact has been.
Last year’s winner was Ellutia Ltd, a research and development company, the judges said: “They [Ellutia] are an excellent example of innovation which has an impact on a global scale, and are leaders in this technology.”
We spoke to the Ellutia team about their 2017 win:
Briefly what has happened since winning the Innovation Award?
“It has certainly made a positive impact to employees’ in the company and receiving recognition boosts moral.
“We dedicated this award to them as well as the managing director Phillip James whom after 25 years developing and manufacturing GC instrumentation was recognised for his expertise in the GC instrumentation world.”
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 Ely Road closed as pedestrian hit in Littleport
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 5 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 6 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 7 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 8 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 9 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
- 10 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
What have been the company’s main challenges in 2017/18?
“Ellutia are a manufacturing, research and development and science company.
“We have found it challenging finding the right candidates for jobs with all the right expertise and experience.”
What has been your biggest success in 2017/18?
“Winning the Innovation Award was a major success along with moving into our new bespoke headquarters at the beginning of January 2017.
“This has given us the room to grow/expand the business along with providing training facilities to new and existing customers and distributors from all over the world.”
What did winning the awards mean to you and what would you say to businesses thinking about entering the awards for the first time?
“Winning was a tremendous feel good feeling for Ellutia not only for staff and director’s but customers were so thrilled.
“I believe winning this award has opened new doors for Ellutia and people are now looking at us in a different way. I would certainly recommend businesses to enter.”
This year, The Innovation Award will be sponsored by East Cambridgeshire District Council – EEC is the council’s economic development team, which provides business support, information and advice to local companies, while working hard to attract important inward investment to the area and supporting business growth.
For more information about the work of EEC and the support available for local businesses, including the apprenticeship scheme, please contact tel: 01353 644 007 or visit: www.enterpriseeastcambs.co.uk