Electrical equipment blamed for bungalow blaze

PUBLISHED: 12:05 10 November 2014 | UPDATED: 12:05 10 November 2014

Archant

A house was destroyed in a fire believed to have been caused by electrical equipment.

Firefighters from Sutton, Littleport, Ely, Chatteris and Manea were called to a bungalow fire in Straight Drove, Coveney, at about 3am, on Saturday.

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “A bungalow, measuring 20m by 10m and with a timber frame, was alight when crews arrived.

“Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reels, two jets, and a light portable pump to get water from nearby open water source, to extinguish the fire by 4.53am.”

No one was living in the property at the time of the fire.

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, by electrical equipment.

Station commander, Paul Clarke said: “This was an extremely fierce fire and when crews arrived it had taken hold of the property.

“Crews did their best to tackle the fire but in this case the property could not be saved. The damage that has been caused is very severe and the property is not habitable.”

Most Read

Latest from the Ely Standard

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists