Edward the teddy bear helping Rotary’s bid to end polio
- Credit: Archant
Soham Rotary Club is raising funds for the End Polio Now campaign with a little help from a teddy bear called Edward.
Sporting his bright red End Polio Now hoody, Edward has been travelling with members of the Soham Rotary Club and sponsors Pet Doctors since July last year in a bid to clock up as many miles as possible before June.
The club is inviting people to guess the number of miles Edward will have travelled in exchange for a donation of £1 and the person that makes the most accurate guess will win £100 kindly donated by Pet Doctors vets in Ely, Soham and Burwell.
Amongst other places, Edwards has already visited are Japan, India, Disneyworld and even Ely ambulance station.
Rotary and its partners have been fighting polio for nearly 30 years, taking the number of countries where it is endemic down from 125 to just three.
It is hoped that the disease will be eradicated in the next few years.
All donations made will be trebled by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Donations can be made and sponsor sheets are available at all three of the local Pet Doctors Vets in St Mary’s Street, Ely, Fordham Road, Soham, and The Causeway, Burwell.
- 1 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 2 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 3 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 8 ‘If it wasn’t for NICU I possibly wouldn’t be here today’ - Darren fundraising for Addenbrooke's
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
You can also contact Chris Whipp, of Soham Rotary Club, by e-mail at email@example.com