Eddie And Mary Holden of Little Downham Celebrate Diamond Wedding Anniversary
EDDIE and Mary Holden of Little Downham celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary today, March 25 2010. The couple became pen friends when Eddie was serving overseas in the late 1940s. After writing to each other for a while they met up in Ely when Eddi
EDDIE and Mary Holden of Little Downham celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary today, March 25 2010.
The couple became pen friends when Eddie was serving overseas in the late 1940s. After writing to each other for a while they met up in Ely when Eddie was on leave, and eventually married at St Mary's Church in 1950.
They started married life in a tin hut at the golf club and eventually moved to St Ovins Green, Chettisham and now Little Downham where they have lived for 25 years.
Mrs Holden, 81, has spent most of her married life as a home maker.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Holden, 83, worked in metal fabrications on local military bases before his retirement. He is also writes regularly to the Ely Standard, appearing on the Letter's page at least once a month. He says the secret to a long and happy marriage is "pulling together in both the good times and bad and keeping a positive attitude".
The couple have two daughters, Rosemary and Alison, four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
- 1 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 2 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 3 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 4 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 5 Letter: Why not use Ely Cathedral as a vaccination centre?
- 6 Fight with weapons outside gym leaves two people seriously injured
- 7 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 8 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 9 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 10 Keep a birds-eye view on resident Peregrine falcons by watching webcam
A family party is being held to commemorate the occasion.
3801: Eddie and Mary Holden raise a glass to celebrate the 60th wedding anniversary.
Photo: HELEN DRAKE
The Holdens on their wedding day at St Mary's Church in Ely on March 25, 1950.