Eddie And Mary Holden of Little Downham Celebrate Diamond Wedding Anniversary
EDDIE and Mary Holden of Little Downham celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary today, March 25 2010. The couple became pen friends when Eddie was serving overseas in the late 1940s. After writing to each other for a while they met up in Ely when Eddi
EDDIE and Mary Holden of Little Downham celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary today, March 25 2010.
The couple became pen friends when Eddie was serving overseas in the late 1940s. After writing to each other for a while they met up in Ely when Eddie was on leave, and eventually married at St Mary's Church in 1950.
They started married life in a tin hut at the golf club and eventually moved to St Ovins Green, Chettisham and now Little Downham where they have lived for 25 years.
Mrs Holden, 81, has spent most of her married life as a home maker.
Mr Holden, 83, worked in metal fabrications on local military bases before his retirement. He is also writes regularly to the Ely Standard, appearing on the Letter's page at least once a month. He says the secret to a long and happy marriage is "pulling together in both the good times and bad and keeping a positive attitude".
The couple have two daughters, Rosemary and Alison, four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
- 1 ‘They looked fabulous’ - school’s first off-site prom a huge success
- 2 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 3 Rikki Neave’s mother calls for tougher sentence for son’s murderer
- 4 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 5 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 6 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 7 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 8 Police officer dismissed for breaching bail conditions
- 9 Man accused of shoplifting £3,000 of printer ink to stand trial next year
- 10 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
A family party is being held to commemorate the occasion.
3801: Eddie and Mary Holden raise a glass to celebrate the 60th wedding anniversary.
Photo: HELEN DRAKE
The Holdens on their wedding day at St Mary's Church in Ely on March 25, 1950.