Eddie And Mary Holden of Little Downham Celebrate Diamond Wedding Anniversary
EDDIE and Mary Holden of Little Downham celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary today, March 25 2010. The couple became pen friends when Eddie was serving overseas in the late 1940s. After writing to each other for a while they met up in Ely when Eddi
EDDIE and Mary Holden of Little Downham celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary today, March 25 2010.
The couple became pen friends when Eddie was serving overseas in the late 1940s. After writing to each other for a while they met up in Ely when Eddie was on leave, and eventually married at St Mary's Church in 1950.
They started married life in a tin hut at the golf club and eventually moved to St Ovins Green, Chettisham and now Little Downham where they have lived for 25 years.
Mrs Holden, 81, has spent most of her married life as a home maker.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Holden, 83, worked in metal fabrications on local military bases before his retirement. He is also writes regularly to the Ely Standard, appearing on the Letter's page at least once a month. He says the secret to a long and happy marriage is "pulling together in both the good times and bad and keeping a positive attitude".
The couple have two daughters, Rosemary and Alison, four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
- 1 'Dedicated' PCSO retires after 12 years amid force funding cuts
- 2 Jail for bank card fraudster caught on CCTV
- 3 Prosecution threat against businesses found not to be Covid-19 secure
- 4 You can now watch Ely Cathedral’s rare Peregrine Falcons live 24/7
- 5 Outcry over new road which will pass through woodland
- 6 Man who died in road crash is named
- 7 Woman to travel 100km in her wheelchair to fundraise for autism charity
- 8 Letters: How could we afford 120 police officers for boat race?
- 9 ‘Beloved’ primary school headteacher leaving after 16 years in Soham
- 10 Volunteer group's Covid-closure after raising £70,000 in 30 years
A family party is being held to commemorate the occasion.
3801: Eddie and Mary Holden raise a glass to celebrate the 60th wedding anniversary.
Photo: HELEN DRAKE
The Holdens on their wedding day at St Mary's Church in Ely on March 25, 1950.