East Cambs fire crews collecting clothes for charity
FIREFIGHTERS across Cambridgeshire are calling on the public to donate unwanted clothing and textiles at recycling banks in local fire stations.
Twenty-two stations in the county - including four in East Cambs - are competing to collect as much unwanted clothing as possible in January to raise funds for The Fire Fighters Charity.
The teams are all hoping to be crowned top of the charity’s UK textile recycling league, which is a national competition among fire stations based on the quantity of textiles collected throughout the month.
For every tonne gathered at the recycling banks, The Fire Fighters Charity receives �220, and since April 2012, the scheme has raised �250,000 nationwide.
Kevin Biles, from the charity, said: “If the people of Cambridgeshire could take a look in their wardrobes and see if they have any clothes, shoes or handbags
You may also want to watch:
they don’t want, now would be a great time to donate. It doesn’t matter what state the clothing is in as it will all be recycled.
“This is a great scheme because it is of no cost to the charity and every penny raised from generous donations by the public goes towards the valuable work
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
we do, including to support our three rehabiltation centres.”
The following fire stations in Fenland have recycling banks to collect clothing, fabrics, and shoes: Burwell, Ely, Littleport and Soham