East Cambs Council pushes through local plan modifications in a bid to stave off speculative developers
- Credit: Archant
East Cambridgeshire’s revised local plan document has been sent out for public consultation as the district council seeks to head off the threat of speculative housing developers.
An emergency meeting of full council was held earlier this month to approve several alterations to the plan after a Government planning inspector questioned the council’s five-year housing supply.
As a result, the council’s planning committee has found itself unable to refuse some planning applications which it might otherwise would have — and it fears speculative developers may take advantage.
The consultation will allow residents, businesses and others to have their say on the proposed modifications - including additional housing sites in Soham. It runs until October 22.
The modifications are available at www.eastcambs.gov.uk or can be viewed at the district council offices, in Ely, from 8.45am–5pm Mondays to Thursdays and 9am–4.30pm on Fridays.
Ely councillor Tom Hunt said: “Our latest local plan consultation follows feedback from the planning inspector on the document we submitted to him earlier this year.
“The inspector asked for the authority to look again at certain areas - the most significant of these changes relate to the inclusion of additional housing sites in Soham.
- 1 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 2 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 3 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 4 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 5 Christmas at Wimpole illuminated trail sparks into life as countdown begins
- 6 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 9 LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: You have your say
- 10 Rough sleeping injunctions are ‘positive’ say council
“I would encourage you to take the time to look at the proposed changes and give your thoughts and comments to help to shape the future development of the district.
“The inspector will consider all comments received in relation to the council’s proposed modifications prior to issuing final recommendations in a final report - so this is your time to make a difference.”
The local plan looks how much development should take place, where and when. It seeks to ensure development in the district is ‘sustainable’.
• Comments and can be made online at www.eastcambs.gov.uk, by e-mail to email@example.com or by post to Forward Planning Team, East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, CB7 4EE.