East Cambs Council pushes through local plan modifications in a bid to stave off speculative developers
- Credit: Archant
East Cambridgeshire’s revised local plan document has been sent out for public consultation as the district council seeks to head off the threat of speculative housing developers.
An emergency meeting of full council was held earlier this month to approve several alterations to the plan after a Government planning inspector questioned the council’s five-year housing supply.
As a result, the council’s planning committee has found itself unable to refuse some planning applications which it might otherwise would have — and it fears speculative developers may take advantage.
The consultation will allow residents, businesses and others to have their say on the proposed modifications - including additional housing sites in Soham. It runs until October 22.
The modifications are available at www.eastcambs.gov.uk or can be viewed at the district council offices, in Ely, from 8.45am–5pm Mondays to Thursdays and 9am–4.30pm on Fridays.
You may also want to watch:
Ely councillor Tom Hunt said: “Our latest local plan consultation follows feedback from the planning inspector on the document we submitted to him earlier this year.
“The inspector asked for the authority to look again at certain areas - the most significant of these changes relate to the inclusion of additional housing sites in Soham.
- 1 Village pub limits reopening to ‘bread and butter customers’ only
- 2 Action this day as new alliance slashes £72k from councillors' allowance budget
- 3 Park and ride from Milton to return next month
- 4 Witchford hold their heads high despite narrow Cambs League cup exit
- 5 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 7 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 8 Letter: Amazing reunion for couple thanks to paramedics
- 9 Man charged with armed robbery in Fenland
- 10 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
“I would encourage you to take the time to look at the proposed changes and give your thoughts and comments to help to shape the future development of the district.
“The inspector will consider all comments received in relation to the council’s proposed modifications prior to issuing final recommendations in a final report - so this is your time to make a difference.”
The local plan looks how much development should take place, where and when. It seeks to ensure development in the district is ‘sustainable’.
• Comments and can be made online at www.eastcambs.gov.uk, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Forward Planning Team, East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, CB7 4EE.