East Cambs company director Glenn Manchett leaves Albert Docks, Liverpool, for 11 month round the world yacht race
- Credit: Archant
Manchetts’s of Burwell group director, Glenn Manchett is a crew member on the Sanya Serenity Coast yacht, which is a part of the 2017 – 2018 Clipper Round the World Yacht Race.
Glenn is one of 20 on board for the next 11 months, racing against 11 other yachts. It is endurance at its highest level and Glenn has been stationed as the yacht engineer.
All crew members are expected to work sailing shifts of four hours on and 4 hours off with them getting as much sleep as possible in between!
Glenn was pushed to his physical limits in the level one selection process to gain a place in the clipper world yacht race. He completed four levels of compulsory training including how to live at a 35-degree angle for prolonged periods while racing and learning to race with broken sleep as he sails through the night.
He will face furious storms in the South Atlantic, intense tropical cyclones in the North Pacific and roaring forties of the Southern Ocean and of course the biggest dread of all no wind at all.
You may also want to watch:
On leaving Liverpool Albert Docks he waved his family and friends off saying “I won’t lie I’m bricking it, but I’m ready”.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 3 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation