East Cambridgeshire top of the table for swimming, new data reveals
- Credit: Archant
People in East Cambridgeshire swim more regularly than anywhere else in the county, according to a new league table published by Diabetes UK.
According to the league table, based on Sport England data, 10 per cent of adults in East Cambridgeshire said they swim once a week compared to just 5.8 per cent of adults in neighbouring Fenland.
Cambridge is the next highest in the league for the county with 9.1 per cent swimming at least once a week.
Diabetes UK has published the league table as it launches its Swim 22 challenge, in which participants swim 22 miles (the distance across the English Channel) at their local pool over the course of three months.
The challenge, which is supported by Tesco, will take place between February 22 and May 22, and Diabetes UK hopes it will encourage more people to take up swimming in the new year as well as raise vital funds.
You may also want to watch:
Sharon Roberts, of Diabetes UK, said: “Swimming is a great way to keep physically active, which is really important for preventing Type 2 diabetes.
“Clearly, some people in Cambridgeshire are already taking this message to heart and it is great to see that so many of them are swimming already and keeping fit and healthy. Because many people find swimming so enjoyable, it’s a form of exercise they may be more likely to stick to in the long run. “
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 5 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 6 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 9 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
To sign up to Swim 22 visit www.diabetes.org.uk/swim22 or call the National Events Team on 0345 123 2399.