East Cambridgeshire top of the table for swimming, new data reveals
- Credit: Archant
People in East Cambridgeshire swim more regularly than anywhere else in the county, according to a new league table published by Diabetes UK.
According to the league table, based on Sport England data, 10 per cent of adults in East Cambridgeshire said they swim once a week compared to just 5.8 per cent of adults in neighbouring Fenland.
Cambridge is the next highest in the league for the county with 9.1 per cent swimming at least once a week.
Diabetes UK has published the league table as it launches its Swim 22 challenge, in which participants swim 22 miles (the distance across the English Channel) at their local pool over the course of three months.
The challenge, which is supported by Tesco, will take place between February 22 and May 22, and Diabetes UK hopes it will encourage more people to take up swimming in the new year as well as raise vital funds.
You may also want to watch:
Sharon Roberts, of Diabetes UK, said: “Swimming is a great way to keep physically active, which is really important for preventing Type 2 diabetes.
“Clearly, some people in Cambridgeshire are already taking this message to heart and it is great to see that so many of them are swimming already and keeping fit and healthy. Because many people find swimming so enjoyable, it’s a form of exercise they may be more likely to stick to in the long run. “
- 1 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
- 2 Potamogeton Trichoides has the last word on £6.5m Mepal crematorium
- 3 Theatre group stream panto online for those who missed it due to lockdown
- 4 Gin could be just the tonic needed for dilapidated farm buildings
- 5 Spat at police officer tests positive for Covid-19
- 6 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 7 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 8 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 9 Viewers react to 'brilliant' 24 Hours in Police Custody: Black Widow
- 10 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
To sign up to Swim 22 visit www.diabetes.org.uk/swim22 or call the National Events Team on 0345 123 2399.