East Cambridgeshire’s most talented young musicians captivate at Soham Village College competition
- Credit: Archant
East Cambridgeshire’s top young musicians were crowned at a special competition held at Soham Village College.
Flautists, pianists, singers and one drummer, from a range of different schools, captivated the audience on a night when the brightest young talents in the district took centre stage.
Overall young musician of the year went to Kayleigh Harrison, 15, who played Toccata, by Etude and J.Dichler, on the piano.
Key Stage 2 winner was 11 year-old Lara Foulkes, of Ely St Mary’s, who played Lonely and Blue, by Paul Hart, on the flute.
Runner-up was Daniel Perel-Hubbard, 10, of Ely St John’s, who played Kalinka, by Ivan Larionov, on the piano. Third was Chris Atkinson, of Ely St Mary’s, who played Sweet Mister Jelly Roll, by Valerie Capers, on the piano.
You may also want to watch:
Key Stage 3 winner was year 8 pupil Ella Hayward, who played Schindler’s List, by John Williams, on the piano. Runner-up was year 7 Tom Kay, who played Pop it in the Top, by Luke Aldridge, on the drums.
Key Stage 4 winner was year 10 Rebecca Revie, who played Fantasie, by G.Faure, on the flute. Runner-up was year 10 Dominic Wills, who played Prelude No. 9, Opus 11, by A.Scriabin, on the piano.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 9 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
Young voice of the year for Key Stage 3 was year 8 Jack Stearne, who performed Consider Yourself from Oliver! by Lionel Bart.
For Key Stage 4, joint winners of young voice were year 11 Olly Manley, who sung This is the Moment from Jekyll and Hyde, by F.Windhorn & L Bricusse, and year 10 Zara Minns, who sung With You from Ghost the Musical, by D.Stuart and G.Ballard.