East Cambridgeshire District Council election 2015: Meet the candidates for The Swaffhams
- Credit: Archant
There are three candidates fighting for one seat in The Swaffhams.
Allen Alderson (Con)
Mr Alderson is councillor for The Swaffhams, and has lived in Reach for over 27 years and is married to Rachael. They have two daughters, the youngest of which attended Swaffham Prior School. He was proud to have served three years as the chairman of the school’s PTA.
During his 11 years as district councillor, he has worked closely with many local campaigning groups and has helped hundreds of residents with their issues and problems. He has a track record for putting the interests of his ward before everything else.
He said: “I believe a good councillor should speak up for local residents – that’s the point of being at the council.”
Charlotte Cane (Lib Dem)
Mrs Cane has lived in Reach for over 20 years with her husband Jon and their two children. After working for 10 years as an archaeologist she retrained as a chartered accountant and now works in finance and HR.
- 1 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 2 Latino 'feeling' comes together for South American venue on launch night
- 3 Caught on camera the moment an otter came up for dinner
- 4 E-scooter crackdown sees crimes drop by third across county
- 5 Ely by-election after death of 'marvellous' parish councillor
- 6 Combined Authority in freefall: how on earth did we get to this?
- 7 20-year-old dies following motorbike crash in Longstanton
- 8 Model rail exhibition back after three years
- 9 Eleanor becomes highest achieving contestant in mathematical olympiad
- 10 Visit Ely announces series of fun-packed events ahead of The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
She is active in the local community serving as a Reach parish councillor, chair of Swaffham Prior Primary School governors and an honorary director of the Reach Community Solar Farm Ltd. She loves the sense of community in the Swaffhams from Reach maintaining its May Fair for over 800 years, the active Beavers, cubs and scouts in Swaffham Prior and the annual Gilbert & Sullivan performances in Swaffham Bulbeck. If elected, Mrs Cane would seek to gain proper funding for the two primary schools, secure good bus services and reduce speeding traffic through our villages.
Mark Lewinski (Lab)
Declined to supply a biography.