East Cambridgeshire District Council election 2015: Meet the candidates for The Swaffhams
- Credit: Archant
There are three candidates fighting for one seat in The Swaffhams.
Allen Alderson (Con)
Mr Alderson is councillor for The Swaffhams, and has lived in Reach for over 27 years and is married to Rachael. They have two daughters, the youngest of which attended Swaffham Prior School. He was proud to have served three years as the chairman of the school’s PTA.
During his 11 years as district councillor, he has worked closely with many local campaigning groups and has helped hundreds of residents with their issues and problems. He has a track record for putting the interests of his ward before everything else.
He said: “I believe a good councillor should speak up for local residents – that’s the point of being at the council.”
You may also want to watch:
Charlotte Cane (Lib Dem)
Mrs Cane has lived in Reach for over 20 years with her husband Jon and their two children. After working for 10 years as an archaeologist she retrained as a chartered accountant and now works in finance and HR.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
She is active in the local community serving as a Reach parish councillor, chair of Swaffham Prior Primary School governors and an honorary director of the Reach Community Solar Farm Ltd. She loves the sense of community in the Swaffhams from Reach maintaining its May Fair for over 800 years, the active Beavers, cubs and scouts in Swaffham Prior and the annual Gilbert & Sullivan performances in Swaffham Bulbeck. If elected, Mrs Cane would seek to gain proper funding for the two primary schools, secure good bus services and reduce speeding traffic through our villages.
Mark Lewinski (Lab)
Declined to supply a biography.