Drunk-driver Had Been Using Strong Alcohol As An Anaesthetic For Mouth Pain
A DRINK-driver who shunted a car along the pavement in Soham had been using strong Czech alcohol as an anaesthetic to quell a raging pain in his mouth, magistrates heard this week. Jiri Borovicka gave a breath test reading almost four times the legal limi
A DRINK-driver who shunted a car along the pavement in Soham had been using strong Czech alcohol as an anaesthetic to quell a raging pain in his mouth, magistrates heard this week.
Jiri Borovicka gave a breath test reading almost four times the legal limit after the incident, and appeared in court on Thursday.
Borovicka, 51, of Fanshawe Road, Cambridge, admitted driving a Vauxhall Zafira when over the alcohol limit in King's Parade at Soham on July 15.
He was ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work, was banned from driving for three years, and must pay �60 costs.
You may also want to watch:
It was midday on July 15 when police were alerted to a motorist driving erratically around Soham, said prosecutor Laura Mardell.
A few minutes later, a woman's car was shunted along the pavement, damaging its bumper and lights. After police arrived, Borovicka gave a breath test reading of 127 mcgs of alcohol in 100 mls of breath, when the legal limit is 35 mcgs.
- 1 Jail for bank card fraudster caught on CCTV
- 2 'Dedicated' PCSO retires after 12 years amid force funding cuts
- 3 Prosecution threat against businesses found not to be Covid-19 secure
- 4 Man who died in road crash is named
- 5 Woman to travel 100km in her wheelchair to fundraise for autism charity
- 6 You can now watch Ely Cathedral’s rare Peregrine Falcons live 24/7
- 7 ‘Beloved’ primary school headteacher leaving after 16 years in Soham
- 8 Volunteer group's Covid-closure after raising £70,000 in 30 years
- 9 Community pharmacy teams to offer free Covid-19 test kits
- 10 Outcry over new road which will pass through woodland
Borovicka, a supervising plumber, had been suffering from a mouth abscess, and used the traditional method of drinking Czech spirit liquor as an antiseptic and anaesthetic, said Hugh Cauthery, mitigating.
"He clearly went too far," he added.