Drummer Jason pushing it to the limit in 24-hour challenge
- Credit: Archant
A musician is hoping to drum up plenty of support for an extraordinary charity challenge.
Jason Newling, of Bellairs, in Sutton, and an eager band of supporters will be taking part in a 24-hour drumming marathon in aid of Cancer Research.
Mr Newling is a member of local band Iron Fist and is used to long stints behind the drums but he will have to go that extra mile on May 9, when he hopes supporters will be able to keep the beat going for an entire day.
The 40-year-old said: “The biggest challenge will be dealing with back ache because it’s not easy being in that position for such a long time.
“I managed to complete nine hours on my own when we held a drumathon in 2012 but I’m hoping I will be able to do 12 hours this time. It’s just sheer adrenaline and motivation to succeed that keeps you going during the early hours of the morning.”
Mr Newling, who took up drumming when he was 13, said other musicians would be dropping in to the studio during the 24-hour challenge to help out with drumming, while others will don guitars to add some much-needed variety.
He said: “It’s nice to have some other music playing because even when you stop for a break, you can still hear the drums playing in your head!”
- 1 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 2 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 3 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 4 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 5 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 6 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 7 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 8 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 9 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 10 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
A target of raising £1,000 has been set and donations can be made online at https://www.justgiving.com/drumathon2015/