Driver’s miraculous escape as lorry leaves road, ends up in a field on A142, New Road junction, Chatteris - road closed last night for vehicle recovery
- Credit: Archant
A driver had a lucky escape on Monday when his lorry careered across the carriageway, narrowly missed a lamp post, took down some road signs and ended up on its side.
The collision happened during early morning severe weather on the Isle of Ely Way at Chatteris.
The road was closed at 10pm for vehicle recovery.
A police spokesman said fire and ambulance crews attended as a precaution but the lorry driver escaped with only minor injuries.
The lorry is owned by Geoff Hobbs Haulage Ltd of Soham.
A company spokesman confirmed the driver was unhurt.
Police said they were called shortly before 8am to attend the scene. The crash happened at the junction with New Road, Chatteris, on the A142.
- 1 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 2 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 3 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 4 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 5 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 6 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 7 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
- 8 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 9 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
Drivers were urged to take extra caution as high winds continued across the Fens.
Forecasters said there could be more “severe gales” throughout the day as Storm Imogen makes its way across southern England.
On the Isle of Wight 96mph winds have been recorded.