Driver’s miraculous escape as lorry leaves road, ends up in a field on A142, New Road junction, Chatteris - road closed last night for vehicle recovery
- Credit: Archant
A driver had a lucky escape on Monday when his lorry careered across the carriageway, narrowly missed a lamp post, took down some road signs and ended up on its side.
The collision happened during early morning severe weather on the Isle of Ely Way at Chatteris.
The road was closed at 10pm for vehicle recovery.
A police spokesman said fire and ambulance crews attended as a precaution but the lorry driver escaped with only minor injuries.
The lorry is owned by Geoff Hobbs Haulage Ltd of Soham.
You may also want to watch:
A company spokesman confirmed the driver was unhurt.
Police said they were called shortly before 8am to attend the scene. The crash happened at the junction with New Road, Chatteris, on the A142.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 9 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 10 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
Drivers were urged to take extra caution as high winds continued across the Fens.
Forecasters said there could be more “severe gales” throughout the day as Storm Imogen makes its way across southern England.
On the Isle of Wight 96mph winds have been recorded.