Driver may have defence
A STAGECOACH bus driver involved in a road accident that left 12 people injured may have a medical condition that contributed to the accident, magistrates were told this week. Brian Bristow originally admitted careless driving, but now believes he may hav
A STAGECOACH bus driver involved in a road accident that left 12 people injured may have a medical condition that contributed to the accident, magistrates were told this week.
Brian Bristow originally admitted careless driving, but now believes he may have a defence to the charge.
Solicitor Penny Grucock told Ely magistrates that Bristow may be suffering from a condition that caused him to lose consciousness.
On Thursday, Ely magistrates adjourned the case for four weeks, for medical evidence to be obtained.
Last month, the court heard how 53-year-old Bristow was driving a company bus on the A14 when he ploughed into the rear of a black Scania truck.
"The bus then swerved across the carriageway and collided with the rear of a Volvo car," said prosecutor Angela Sassoli.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 4 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 5 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 9 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 10 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
"A total of 12 people sustained injuries; one had injuries of a serious nature."
Last month, magistrates said they were considering imposing a driving ban on Bristow, of Cherry Rise, Sutton.