Drink-driver banned for 16 months
TWENTY-year-old Natalie Pokora crashed and turned her car over on a foggy night in Ely — and a blood test showed she was over the alcohol limit. A taxi had been summoned to the crash scene in Prickwillow Road in the early hours of the morning, and the tax
TWENTY-year-old Natalie Pokora crashed and turned her car over on a foggy night in Ely - and a blood test showed she was over the alcohol limit.
A taxi had been summoned to the crash scene in Prickwillow Road in the early hours of the morning, and the taxi driver was so worried about Pokora's injuries that an ambulance was called.
The Rover car she was driving was written-off in the accident, and Pokora, who is employed as a cashier at Ladbrokes in Newmarket, was off work for two weeks.
Pokora, of The Cotes, Soham, admitted drink-driving on October 15 last year, when she appeared before Ely magistrates on Thursday. She was banned from driving for 16 months and fined £150 with £75 costs.
Mitigating, Michael Judkins said Pokora fully respected the drink drive laws. On the night of the accident she had been drinking with friends. She went to a friend's home around 1am, and left there around 3am, believing it was legal for her to drive.
"It was a foggy night, she misjudged the road and turned the car over," he said. "Her calling in life is working with the disabled, she had befriended a young lady with special needs, and takes her out, to give her some quality of life."
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 6 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 7 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 8 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 9 Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 10 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
He said the driving ban would mean a stop to this work, and prevent Pokora from taking up a full-time job as a carer.