Drink Drive Who Was Out of Breath is Banned
A SUSPECTED drink-driver was banned from driving for a year, after magistrates heard how he failed to provide enough breath to be tested on three occasions at a police station. Fifty-nine-year-old Eduardo Coelho was stopped by officers because he was driv
A SUSPECTED drink-driver was banned from driving for a year, after magistrates heard how he failed to provide enough breath to be tested on three occasions at a police station.
Fifty-nine-year-old Eduardo Coelho was stopped by officers because he was driving erratically around Ely, and he failed a roadside breathalyser test.
He was then taken to a police station in Cambridge, where he was required to give another test.
"I didn't refuse to blow, but I could not blow with enough force," Coelho explained to city magistrates on Thursday.
You may also want to watch:
Coelho, of John Beckett Court, Ely, was convicted of failing to provide a specimen of breath at a trial last month, which he did not attend.
This week he was before magistrates to be sentenced. He handed in a letter regarding his health, and explained that he attends Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge for weekly treatment.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 7 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 10 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
Giving Coelho a 12-month conditional discharge and ordering him to pay £50 costs, presiding magistrate Susan Thompson said: "We have heard you were not at your trial because you had a medical appointment.
"You did blow, but you did not have sufficient breath to provide a specimen.