Dozen flee shop blaze
TWELVE people had to be evacuated from homes on Sunday when a blaze at an Ely fish shop threatened flats above. Fire-fighters found thick black smoke billowing out of the windows of the Ely Fish Bar in St Mary s Street after hot oil in the deep fat fryer
TWELVE people had to be evacuated from homes on Sunday when a blaze at an Ely fish shop threatened flats above.
Fire-fighters found thick black smoke billowing out of the windows of the Ely Fish Bar in St Mary's Street after hot oil in the deep fat fryer caught fire at lunchtime.
They feared flames would spread to the homes above and decided to evacuate the buildings while they tackled the blaze using breathing apparatus.
Ady Slack, Ely Fire Station manager said: "The fire itself was very intense and it was very difficult to see because of the smoke.
You may also want to watch:
"We had been told people were still in the shop, so we immediately sent in fire-fighters to conduct a thorough search. While this was going on we made the decision to evacuate the flats above.
"We quickly ascertained that no-one was inside the shop itself and we were able to extinguish the blaze without it spreading.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
"We would like to thank the residents living above for their co-operation."
The fire broke out at around 12.30pm and it is believed it was caused by oil in the fryer overheating.
Station manager Slack said: "We would like to remind those cooking with oils or fats that water should never be used if a fire starts.
"This will cause the fire to spread, creating a heat build up and potentially, a massive fireball, causing extensive damage.