You hope for a silver lining - and this wondrous tree is it
- Credit: Wisbech Tweet
Christmas is all about giving – and Wisbech will again celebrate with the extraordinary £40,000 silver ‘tree’ donated by Peterborough City Council.
The beautifully designed metal ‘balls of light’ tree has once again been erected on Wisbech Market Place. With, as will almost certainly now become the norm, a more traditional tree the other end.
Both all their respective splendour, will have a starring role in the Christmas lights switch-on in the town on Sunday from 3pm.
One cheeky Peterborough councillor - clearly bemoaning the loss – even tweeted that he felt Wisbech should offer a belated donation for the tree.
(Peterborough City Council is facing a not so sudden financial crisis).
But what is now undoubtedly Peterborough’s loss (the city burghers didn’t like the tree) is Wisbech’s gain.
And it was a shrewd piece of bargaining by Wisbech council leader Samantha Hoy that secured the tree that for some reason had embarrassed her Peterborough counterparts who wanted rid of it.
- 1 Government clearance needed for £200,000 year role for Eileen
- 2 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 3 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 4 Busy road near RAF Lakenheath reopens after five-vehicle crash
- 5 Taxi firm introduce ‘hangover recovery kits’ during Christmas party season
- 6 Neighbour and PCSO prevent £4,000 fraud
- 7 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 8 Council's plea to protect East Cambs from Covid-19 this Christmas
- 9 Frying High! National honours for Ely at potato awards
- 10 Green bin collections suspended
If you’re heading into Wisbech on Sunday the lights switch on is from 3-6pm.