Doom’ design wins local heat
TWO pupils from Little Thetford have reached the East Anglian final of the Connects competition after beating stiff opposition from 22 schools in East Cambridgeshire. At the event, organised by SET Point Cambridgeshire Exscite Centre at the Nissan showroo
TWO pupils from Little Thetford have reached the East Anglian final of the Connects competition after beating stiff opposition from 22 schools in East Cambridgeshire.
At the event, organised by SET Point Cambridgeshire Exscite Centre at the Nissan showrooms in Cambridge, students between nine and 11 were given the challenge to build a model of an exciting fairground ride.
The design had to have a running motor and pupils were judged on originality, excitement and aesthetic nature of the design to the stability and practicality of whether it could be replicated into a real life ride. Students were also judged on their presentation skills.
Headteacher Tony Breeze said: "The pupils learn about design technology in academic terms, but it's also a useful exercise in that they also learn about strategy, planning and team work."
The regional final will be held at the Anglia Ruskin University in Chelmsford on June 6 and the winners of that event will go on to compete in the national final in London.
Competition winners Lewis Oates, left, and Oscar Haines are seen here with their winning design, entitled The Spin of Doom, which scored 89 out of 100.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 4 Replacement home not good enough says council
- 5 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 6 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 7 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 8 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 9 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 10 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
Photo: HELEN DRAKE