Domestic dispute ends in violence
FATHER-OF-FOUR Cornelius Smith pushed his partner and she hit her head on a metal bedpost, a court heard. Smith lost his temper with Beverley Parker after she made an upsetting remark about his sister, who had died two months earlier, Ely magistrates were
FATHER-OF-FOUR Cornelius Smith pushed his partner and she hit her head on a metal bedpost, a court heard.
Smith lost his temper with Beverley Parker after she made an upsetting remark about his sister, who had died two months earlier, Ely magistrates were told.
The attack happened after a row erupted over his partner's drinking, which had been a problem over the last three years, the court heard.
Smith, of High Barns, Ely, admitted assault by beating at the family's home on April 5.
Mitigating, Adam Hazlehurst said: "My client accused his partner of drinking and she denied it. It escalated when things were said about his sister and this stirred up strong feelings within my client. He accepts he lost his temper and he pushed her.
"He moved out for a week after this incident but is now back at home with his partner. He hopes this might fix her mind on her drinking and address this problem. This was quite out of character for my client."
- 1 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 2 ‘Wonderful’ Thanksgiving Evensong as Archdeacon steps down from role after 17 years
- 3 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 4 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 5 Latino 'feeling' comes together for South American venue on launch night
- 6 Yarn-bombing returns to city ahead of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- 7 Ely by-election after death of 'marvellous' parish councillor
- 8 Detached home in tranquil riverside setting on sale for £750,000
- 9 Visit Ely announces series of fun-packed events ahead of The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- 10 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
Magistrates adjourned the case until May 23 for a pre-sentence report. Smith was given unconditional bail.