Dog and owner rescued from sluice after getting stuck at Lark Bank, Prickwillow
- Credit: Archant
A dog and its owner were rescued by fire crews on Tuesday (December 20) after they became stuck in a sluice gate at Lark Bank, Prickwillow - where water was about four-and-a-half metres deep.
“The owner had been walking her dog and there was a shot and the dog got spooked and ran off,” said station commander Paul Clarke.
“She had been looking for it for hours before she found it in the sluice.
“She then climbed down into the sluice gate to be with her dog before getting stuck.”
A specialist team of firefighters from Ely and Cambridge trained in water and animal rescues wore dry suits to enter the water using a nine-metre ladder to access the sluice gate.
You may also want to watch:
They also threw a line and life jacket down to the dog’s owner after she had climbed down into the sluice to try and rescue the collie dog.
Crews returned to their station by 8.56pm.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
Commander Clarke added: “We understand how precious animals are but the owner had put themselves in extreme danger.
“With sluice gates you don’t know when they are going to activate. If the level of water had have crept up it might have activated the sluice gates and if that had happened she could have been dragged into the mechanism.
“We have to emphasise to owners the dangers of trying to rescue their animals.
“If your pets are in danger then please call the fire service.”