Distinctive Fen radishes hit the market ahead of schedule thanks to G’s and Sainsbury’s
- Credit: Archant
The Fenland radish is ready to add extra crunch to the country’s salads – 10 days ahead of schedule.
The recent warm weather and mild winter has brought an early crop and supermarket giant Sainsbury’s has begun work with Cambridgeshire-based radish supplier, G’s, to bring an early batch of red globe-shaped Celesta rash to the market.
G’s has supplied Sainsbury’s with over 1,000 tonnes of the crop every year since 1980 and grower Scott Watson manages one of the biggest areas in the country dedicated to growing radishes.
He said: “Here in the Fens, as one of the driest counties in the UK, we’re perfectly placed to grow top quality radishes with great flavour and a juicy crunch.
“The mild winter has meant that the radish have grown much faster than usual. It’s a real bonus for us to be able to increase the length of the British radish season and get them to Sainsbury’s customers earlier than ever before.”
You may also want to watch:
Lily Peck, Produce Product Technologist for Sainsbury’s, says: “We’ve seen demand for radishes increase by 22 per cent in the past year as customers realise how versatile they are.
“A few fresh radishes make a delicious crunchy snack or crudité, and their distinctive pinky-red hue adds an Instagram-worthy pop of colour to summer salads.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
“As the weather gets warmer they actually get hotter in flavour so if you prefer a milder radish, these early varieties are the perfect choice.”