Discarded Cigarette Lays Waste To Isleham Flat
A FLAT in Isleham was rendered uninhabitable on Wednesday night after a carelessly discarded cigarette caught fire in an armchair. Two crews from Soham were called to tackle the fearsome blaze which had taken hold at a flat in West Street at around 7.40pm
A FLAT in Isleham was rendered uninhabitable on Wednesday night after a carelessly discarded cigarette caught fire in an armchair.
Two crews from Soham were called to tackle the fearsome blaze which had taken hold at a flat in West Street at around 7.40pm.
The owner of the flat had left the property to visit a local shop but was forced to call the emergency services on his return after finding that the flat had gone up in flames.
The fire crews managed to extinguish the blaze which had ripped through the living room of the property but extensive smoke-damage caused by the blaze rendered the flat uninhabitable.
You may also want to watch:
Richard Powell, Watch Manager at Soham Fire Station, said: "It is absolutely vital that people make sure they extinguish each cigarette properly before leaving the room or going to sleep.
Cigarettes can burn with extreme heat, up to 920oc when being inhaled, the unstable hot ash can fall in the blink of the eye before you are aware of what has happened and they can cause serious injury or even death.
- 1 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 2 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 3 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 4 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 5 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 6 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 7 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 8 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 9 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 10 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini