Discarded Cigarette Lays Waste To Isleham Flat

PUBLISHED: 11:33 05 November 2009 | UPDATED: 11:05 04 May 2010

A FLAT in Isleham was rendered uninhabitable on Wednesday night after a carelessly discarded cigarette caught fire in an armchair. Two crews from Soham were called to tackle the fearsome blaze which had taken hold at a flat in West Street at around 7.40pm

A FLAT in Isleham was rendered uninhabitable on Wednesday night after a carelessly discarded cigarette caught fire in an armchair.

Two crews from Soham were called to tackle the fearsome blaze which had taken hold at a flat in West Street at around 7.40pm.

The owner of the flat had left the property to visit a local shop but was forced to call the emergency services on his return after finding that the flat had gone up in flames.

The fire crews managed to extinguish the blaze which had ripped through the living room of the property but extensive smoke-damage caused by the blaze rendered the flat uninhabitable.

Richard Powell, Watch Manager at Soham Fire Station, said: "It is absolutely vital that people make sure they extinguish each cigarette properly before leaving the room or going to sleep.

Cigarettes can burn with extreme heat, up to 920oc when being inhaled, the unstable hot ash can fall in the blink of the eye before you are aware of what has happened and they can cause serious injury or even death.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ely Standard. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ely Standard