Dinosaur dig with life size T-Rex helps launch Ely Cathedral Science Festival
- Credit: Archant
The first ever Ely Cathedral Science Festival got underway at the weekend when children took part in a dinosaur dig with a life-size T-Rex.
Mike Rouse, who attended the event, said is was “a great family day in the cathedral.
“It was a really good start to the festival and it was incredibly busy, with small children searching for fossils among the sand.”
A specialist exhibition exploring the world of science from ‘dinosaurs to DNA’ - which will be on display throughout the festival - was opened in the Lady Chapel.
It includes a rare opportunity to see many national and local artefacts of scientific significance including an original copy of Darwin’s ‘Origin of Species’ and the remains of a late jurassic pliosaur discovered in the Fens in the 1950s.
You may also want to watch:
The festival of “interactive fun and discovery”, which runs until June 18, aims to “explore science and the natural world through art, music, exhibitions and fun activities for all ages”.
As well as science shows, live experiments and prehistoric creatures, there will be fascinating talks by leading experts including lectures by Professor Robert Winston, an explosive show with Dr Bunhead and a sci-fi prom featuring music from composers and popular film scores.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 4 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 5 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 6 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 7 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 8 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 9 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 10 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
The Cambridge Science Centre’s Pop Up ‘Science Laboratory’ also features throughout the festival.
For tickets visit www.tickets.elycathedral.org or contact the Ely Cathedral box office on 01353 660349.