Diggers move in to begin work on £350,000 cycleway that will link Sutton with Ely
- Credit: Archant
Work on the first stage of a new £350,000 cycleway which will link Sutton and Mepal with Ely began on Monday.
Cambridgeshire County Council contractors are working on completing missing sections of cycleway between Wentworth and Witcham Toll that will link ultimately link Sutton with Witchford.
The project is expected to take two months to complete and will ultimately see a 2m-wide shared-used path that runs for about 1.5km.
A spokesman for the Ely Cycling Campaign also welcomed the news, saying: “This would give the residents of Sutton and Mepal a relatively safe cycle route all to Witchford and Ely.
“It would allow children from Sutton and Mepal to cycle to Witchford Village College and people in Sutton and Mepal to ride into Ely for work, to commute to the station, to shop, go out and so on.
You may also want to watch:
“There are also several employment locations along the route, Lancaster Way and the Business Park at Sutton for example, where people could then cycle to work. So it starts to open up a lot of opportunities for people to choose to cycle instead of using their cars.”
- 1 Village pub limits reopening to ‘bread and butter customers’ only
- 2 Action this day as new alliance slashes £72k from councillors' allowance budget
- 3 Park and ride from Milton to return next month
- 4 Witchford hold their heads high despite narrow Cambs League cup exit
- 5 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 7 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 8 Letter: Amazing reunion for couple thanks to paramedics
- 9 Man charged with armed robbery in Fenland
- 10 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face