‘Always be there for each other’: Teenage sweethearts from Mepal celebrate 60 years together
- Credit: Archant
They may have met at school in the 1950s but their love is still young at heart 60 years on for this couple from Mepal who celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary.
Tom and Dorothy Hensby tied the knot at Chatteris Parish Church on a snowy January day in 1959 at 19 years old.
The teenage sweethearts met at Cromwell Secondary School in 1953 and instantly hit it off.
“The sun shone despite it being a snowy morning for our wedding on January 10 1959,” explained Mr Hensby.
“Children had been belting the church door with snowballs and when we had our wedding pictures taken you could still see them up the door.”
Mr and Mrs Hensby, both 79, went on to have two children, Lorraine and Lavinia, four grandchildren, Christopher, Alice, Elliot and Georgia and two great-grandchildren.
They both worked on land across the Fens.
- 1 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 4 Missing woman back home
- 5 Petition launched to save village pub
- 6 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 9 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 10 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
Over the years they have holidayed around the world including France, Germany and two cruises.
Mr Hensby continued: “We have been very fortunate to be able to travel to many lovely places.
“We used to go to Yarmouth every year until 1967 and then we started to go to Cornwall too.
“I think our secret to success has been to work together and not argue but always be there for each other.
“I am very proud of all our family and what they’ve gone on to achieve in life.”
The pair celebrated with a family party on Saturday night at the Five Miles from Anywhere pub in Upware.