Diamond day for Ronald and Betty
LITTLEPORT couple Ronald and Betty Hart were accompanying their friends on a date when they met.
Ronald, a friend of Betty’s brother, was invited along to keep Betty company while her brother and her friend met up for a date.
Though their friends may have split up after only a week, their courtship blossomed and, on Thursday, they will be celebrating their diamond wedding anniversary.
Ronald, 79, and Betty, 84, were married in 1952 at St Matthew’s Church on Wisbech Road and made their home in the village shortly after.
The couple, who worked on the land, have seven children, 16 grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.
You may also want to watch:
And the secret to their long and happy marriage? “unconditional love” said Ronald. “Living as the good lord intended, this means giving and forgiving and, like many other walks of life, you get out what you put in.”
- 1 Village pub limits reopening to ‘bread and butter customers’ only
- 2 Park and ride from Milton to return next month
- 3 Action this day as new alliance slashes £72k from councillors' allowance budget
- 4 Witchford hold their heads high despite narrow Cambs League cup exit
- 5 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 7 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 8 Letter: Amazing reunion for couple thanks to paramedics
- 9 Man charged with armed robbery in Fenland
- 10 Energy provider hopes green approach can take gardening by storm