Diamond day for Ronald and Betty
LITTLEPORT couple Ronald and Betty Hart were accompanying their friends on a date when they met.
Ronald, a friend of Betty’s brother, was invited along to keep Betty company while her brother and her friend met up for a date.
Though their friends may have split up after only a week, their courtship blossomed and, on Thursday, they will be celebrating their diamond wedding anniversary.
Ronald, 79, and Betty, 84, were married in 1952 at St Matthew’s Church on Wisbech Road and made their home in the village shortly after.
The couple, who worked on the land, have seven children, 16 grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.
You may also want to watch:
And the secret to their long and happy marriage? “unconditional love” said Ronald. “Living as the good lord intended, this means giving and forgiving and, like many other walks of life, you get out what you put in.”
- 1 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 2 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 3 Bronze pig found at bottom of garden could be worth £10,000
- 4 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 5 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 6 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 7 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 8 More GP surgeries prepare to give Covid-19 vaccinations
- 9 Vaccinated nurse tells of 'incredibly stressful' situation
- 10 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer