Diamond couple make it a day to remember for charity
DIAMOND couple June and Edward Scott Pillow celebrated 60 years of marriage by donating �1,084 to one of their favourite charities.
The couple raised the princely sum at a party to celebrate their milestone and handed over the cheque to the East Anglian Air Ambulance earlier this week.
June met Edward, known as Scotty, in 1951 at an RAF base in Oxfordshire, she was training to be a nurse while he was a corporal serving with the medical branch.
A whirlwind romance saw them married in Battersea, London, about a year later but they would spend the ensuing years moving around the country as Scotty was posted to different bases.
At one point, the couple were apart for several months while Scotty took up a post in the Maldives, with women not allowed to stay on the base.
It would be a whopping 17 house moves later before they finally came to settle in Ely, after Scotty, 85, was posted to the RAF Hospital in the city.
As well as four children and eight grandchildren, the couple, who served as mayor and mayoress of Ely in 1997, also have two great-grandchildren.
- 1 Pair trapped after A142 crash rescued from ditch
- 2 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 3 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 4 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 5 Have you seen Harry Gibson? He's wanted by police
- 6 Motorcyclist 'seriously injured' following A1303 crash
- 7 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 8 Village farm buildings targeted in arson attack
- 9 Councillors left disappointed as decision made on £37m station project
- 10 Budding musicians hit the right note at 25th annual awards evening
And the secret to a long and happy marriage? “We love each other now more than we ever have,” said June, 83.