Diamond couple make it a day to remember for charity
DIAMOND couple June and Edward Scott Pillow celebrated 60 years of marriage by donating �1,084 to one of their favourite charities.
The couple raised the princely sum at a party to celebrate their milestone and handed over the cheque to the East Anglian Air Ambulance earlier this week.
June met Edward, known as Scotty, in 1951 at an RAF base in Oxfordshire, she was training to be a nurse while he was a corporal serving with the medical branch.
A whirlwind romance saw them married in Battersea, London, about a year later but they would spend the ensuing years moving around the country as Scotty was posted to different bases.
At one point, the couple were apart for several months while Scotty took up a post in the Maldives, with women not allowed to stay on the base.
You may also want to watch:
It would be a whopping 17 house moves later before they finally came to settle in Ely, after Scotty, 85, was posted to the RAF Hospital in the city.
As well as four children and eight grandchildren, the couple, who served as mayor and mayoress of Ely in 1997, also have two great-grandchildren.
- 1 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 2 Club shuts its doors after illegal encampment spotted
- 3 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 4 Former deputy mayor wants to move Newmarket to Cambridgeshire
- 5 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 6 Glamping site granted drinks licence despite neighbours' protests
- 7 East Cambs could be getting five new walking routes
- 8 Annual classic car show returns to Ely
- 9 Book tickets for brewery’s summer jazz party
- 10 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
And the secret to a long and happy marriage? “We love each other now more than we ever have,” said June, 83.