Diamond couple make it a day to remember for charity
DIAMOND couple June and Edward Scott Pillow celebrated 60 years of marriage by donating �1,084 to one of their favourite charities.
The couple raised the princely sum at a party to celebrate their milestone and handed over the cheque to the East Anglian Air Ambulance earlier this week.
June met Edward, known as Scotty, in 1951 at an RAF base in Oxfordshire, she was training to be a nurse while he was a corporal serving with the medical branch.
A whirlwind romance saw them married in Battersea, London, about a year later but they would spend the ensuing years moving around the country as Scotty was posted to different bases.
At one point, the couple were apart for several months while Scotty took up a post in the Maldives, with women not allowed to stay on the base.
You may also want to watch:
It would be a whopping 17 house moves later before they finally came to settle in Ely, after Scotty, 85, was posted to the RAF Hospital in the city.
As well as four children and eight grandchildren, the couple, who served as mayor and mayoress of Ely in 1997, also have two great-grandchildren.
- 1 Village pub limits reopening to ‘bread and butter customers’ only
- 2 Park and ride from Milton to return next month
- 3 Action this day as new alliance slashes £72k from councillors' allowance budget
- 4 Witchford hold their heads high despite narrow Cambs League cup exit
- 5 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 7 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 8 Letter: Amazing reunion for couple thanks to paramedics
- 9 Man charged with armed robbery in Fenland
- 10 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
And the secret to a long and happy marriage? “We love each other now more than we ever have,” said June, 83.