Diamond couple celebrate their big day
ELY couple Maureen and Ken Fey said that “remembering their wedding vows” was the key to a long and happy marriage as they celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary this week.
The couple, who live in Willow Walk, insisted that there was no secret to a successful marriage, and said simply remembering the promises they made to each other on the their wedding day had been “the best place to start.”
Ken met Maureen at a youth club in Hornchurch, Essex, towards the end of the way in 1945.
He was working for British chemical giant May and Baker in Dagenham, Essex at the time while Maureen was a shorthand typist in London.
The couple courted for six years before finally tying the knot at St Joseph’s Church in Upminster, Essex.
You may also want to watch:
After retirement, the couple, who had a narrow boat in Ely, decided to move to the East Cambridgeshire, living in Soham for three years before finally settling in Willow Walk in 1990. The couple have four children and five grandchildren.
The duo will be joined by family for a party to celebrate the occasion on Saturday in Ely.
- 1 Parish council protests after developers switch care home for homes
- 2 Tea rooms may become a bedsit
- 3 OBE for former King's Ely principal
- 4 Charity shop ‘urgently appealing’ for volunteers after reopening
- 5 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 6 Parish council fails to win vote of confidence
- 7 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 8 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 9 Ely’s most famous cat is back for more adventures
- 10 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her