Diamond couple celebrate their big day
ELY couple Maureen and Ken Fey said that “remembering their wedding vows” was the key to a long and happy marriage as they celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary this week.
The couple, who live in Willow Walk, insisted that there was no secret to a successful marriage, and said simply remembering the promises they made to each other on the their wedding day had been “the best place to start.”
Ken met Maureen at a youth club in Hornchurch, Essex, towards the end of the way in 1945.
He was working for British chemical giant May and Baker in Dagenham, Essex at the time while Maureen was a shorthand typist in London.
The couple courted for six years before finally tying the knot at St Joseph’s Church in Upminster, Essex.
You may also want to watch:
After retirement, the couple, who had a narrow boat in Ely, decided to move to the East Cambridgeshire, living in Soham for three years before finally settling in Willow Walk in 1990. The couple have four children and five grandchildren.
The duo will be joined by family for a party to celebrate the occasion on Saturday in Ely.
- 1 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 2 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 3 Car hits A14 barrier near Newmarket
- 4 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
- 5 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 6 Retirement complex proposals encounter a sticky situation
- 7 Housing first battleground in mayor elections for Cambridgeshire
- 8 Village’s community Co-op will open next month after New Year delays
- 9 Dad of two killed on Fen road
- 10 Man, 21, with 15,000 indecent images and videos plus 'paedophile manual' spared jail