Diamond couple celebrate their big day
ELY couple Maureen and Ken Fey said that “remembering their wedding vows” was the key to a long and happy marriage as they celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary this week.
The couple, who live in Willow Walk, insisted that there was no secret to a successful marriage, and said simply remembering the promises they made to each other on the their wedding day had been “the best place to start.”
Ken met Maureen at a youth club in Hornchurch, Essex, towards the end of the way in 1945.
He was working for British chemical giant May and Baker in Dagenham, Essex at the time while Maureen was a shorthand typist in London.
The couple courted for six years before finally tying the knot at St Joseph’s Church in Upminster, Essex.
You may also want to watch:
After retirement, the couple, who had a narrow boat in Ely, decided to move to the East Cambridgeshire, living in Soham for three years before finally settling in Willow Walk in 1990. The couple have four children and five grandchildren.
The duo will be joined by family for a party to celebrate the occasion on Saturday in Ely.
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Van driver in ‘life threatening condition’ after crash
- 4 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 5 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 6 Amazing escape for driver in A11 crash
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos