Developer submits plans for retirement apartments in Ely
- Credit: Archant
McCarthy and Stone has pressed ahead with plans to build more than 50 new retirement flats in Ely.
The company has applied to East Cambridgeshire District Council to redevelop the G&J Peck site, in Lisle Lane, into 57 “assisted living apartments”, together with car parking and communal facilities, including a fully serviced restaurant and gardens.
McCarthy says the development would be staffed 24hours a day, and will create about 17 new jobs.
Prior to submitting the plans, the company carried out a public consultation event, which, it said, was attended by nearly 100 local residents.
The company said that 91 per cent of the feedback it received about the proposal was in support of the site’s redevelopment.
You may also want to watch:
Lisle Lane is already home to a development of sheltered housing, with a number of apartments and houses in nearby Belt Holt.
G&J Peck, the site’s current occupiers, will relocate to a new purpose built premises on the Lancaster Way Business Park, in Witchford.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
Darren Humphreys, from McCarthy and Stone, said: “We are very encouraged by the high level of local support we have received about our plans to date.
“Our plans have been carefully considered to ensure they respect Ely’s unique character, whilst increasing the housing choice for residents in later life.
“There is a strong and growing demand for assisted living accommodation and it is important that a community meets the housing need of all its residents.”
News of the planning applicaton comes just 18 months after McCarthy saw plans for 20 retirement flats in Cambridge Road, Ely, turned down following a lengthy battle with neighbours.
For more information about the proposal, visit www.mccarthyandstone-consultation.co.uk/lislelane or contact the project’s freephone information line on 0800 298 7040.
WHAT DO YOU THINK? Send your thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Ely Standard, Alexander House, Fore Hill, Ely, CB7 4AF.