Develop wins planning approval for 14 new homes
- Credit: Archant
A Surrey-based company has won planning permission to build 14 new houses in Soham – despite opposition from neighbours.
Willowcharm Ltd applied in September to build a series of new homes, ranging from two to four-bedroom properties, on an acre of land off Guntons Close.
Architects for Willowcharm told East Cambridgeshire District Council that the development would provide “much needed living accommodation” but neighbours said it would lead to an overwhelming increase in traffic and harm wildlife.
Ian Gardiner told the council: “I object to this application on the grounds that Guntons Close is already saturated with vehicles. The close is not built for additional traffic.”
Karen Cross said: “Guntons Close has too many issues with traffic and parking as it is and the close itself cannot possibly handle any more through traffic.”
You may also want to watch:
And Dr Liz Smith added: “Whilst any increase in local affordable housing is commendable, my objection to this proposal is based upon grounds of public safety and its inevitable impact upon traffic flow in already difficult circumstances.”
Despite the concern of neighbours, Soham Parish Council said it was happy for the development to go ahead and the county council’s highways department raised no objections.
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 3 Everything you need to know about Mad Hatters eco festival
- 4 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 5 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 6 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 7 Footballer hopes Wembley 'dream' can bolster Cambridge career
- 8 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 9 Nostalgic throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 10 Elections 2021: Polling Day across Cambridgeshire
Approving the plans, district council planning officer Rebecca Saunt ordered an investigation and risk assessment of contamination to be carried out and a traffic management plan to be produced.