Develop wins planning approval for 14 new homes
- Credit: Archant
A Surrey-based company has won planning permission to build 14 new houses in Soham – despite opposition from neighbours.
Willowcharm Ltd applied in September to build a series of new homes, ranging from two to four-bedroom properties, on an acre of land off Guntons Close.
Architects for Willowcharm told East Cambridgeshire District Council that the development would provide “much needed living accommodation” but neighbours said it would lead to an overwhelming increase in traffic and harm wildlife.
Ian Gardiner told the council: “I object to this application on the grounds that Guntons Close is already saturated with vehicles. The close is not built for additional traffic.”
Karen Cross said: “Guntons Close has too many issues with traffic and parking as it is and the close itself cannot possibly handle any more through traffic.”
You may also want to watch:
And Dr Liz Smith added: “Whilst any increase in local affordable housing is commendable, my objection to this proposal is based upon grounds of public safety and its inevitable impact upon traffic flow in already difficult circumstances.”
Despite the concern of neighbours, Soham Parish Council said it was happy for the development to go ahead and the county council’s highways department raised no objections.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 6 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
Approving the plans, district council planning officer Rebecca Saunt ordered an investigation and risk assessment of contamination to be carried out and a traffic management plan to be produced.