Depression led to one big injection’
A HEROIN overdose killed a man who had been addicted to the drug for more than 35 years and had apparently become so depressed he wanted to end it all with a big injection . Timothy Ellerton died at a house on Barkway, Burwell on March 27. At an inquest
A HEROIN overdose killed a man who had been addicted to the drug for more than 35 years and had apparently become so depressed he "wanted to end it all with a big injection".
Timothy Ellerton died at a house on Barkway, Burwell on March 27.
At an inquest on Friday, a statement from Anthony Hawes, who lived in the house, was read out.
It said that Mr Ellerton, aged 51, from Saxon Street, Newmarket, arrived at his house with a carrier bag full of needles and a £10 bag of heroin.
You may also want to watch:
He took the heroin in the living room and then slumped on to the floor and took a large gasp of air.
Mr Hawes said he shouted to friends to see if he was alright because his face had gone purple and he didn't appear to be breathing.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 8 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 9 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 10 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
"I called for emergency services and tried to give him CPR, but it didn't work.
"He had become so depressed at not being able to find work and for a while he had been saying he wanted to end it all with one big injection."
Pathologist Edward Rytina stated that post mortem results suggested a fatal misuse of heroin.
Coroner William Morris said the cause of death was a heroin overdose and recorded a verdict of death by a dependence on drugs.