Demand for firm’s organic veg soars over Christmas
- Credit: Archant
Isleham firm Produce World has reported that demand for its organic vegetables during Christmas was at a record high.
The total value of organic veg increased by 5.6 per cent at the start of 2015 compared to the start of 2014, with total organic brassicas increasing by a whopping 38.5 per cent overall.
The biggest increase among organic brassicas included cauliflower, with total value of the organic vegetable increasing by a massive 66.7 per cent, and cabbage, which increased by 40.2 per cent.
Organic broccoli also performed well with an increase of 19 per cent.
Other solid performers included root crops, with the total value increasing by 11.7 per cent. Carrots continued to perform steadily during Christmas with consumer purchases increasing by 3.3 per cent compared with the previous year.
You may also want to watch:
Andrew Burgess, agricultural director at Produce World, said: “The Christmas success of organic vegetables is recognition that more and more consumers are realising the great taste and quality of organic options.
“Taste is a big reason why people say they buy organic, with vegetables supplied by Produce World representing the very best on the market.
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Dr Nik in Ely for his first day as Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Mayor
- 3 Have your say on Network Rail increasing rail capacity through Ely
- 4 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 5 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 6 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 7 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 8 Eggs from Peregrine Falcons nesting on Ely Cathedral rooftop hatch
- 9 Punch in face leaves man with fractured nose
- 10 Railways to royalty - a nostalgic look at Ely and Cambridgeshire
“The organic carrot is now an accepted choice for UK consumers, but organic brassicas have experienced a surge in demand over Christmas, with cauliflower and cabbage set to be top consumer choices for 2015.”
The increase in demand for organic vegetables meant that 2014 was one of the busiest Christmases for Produce World, with colleagues working around the clock to supply millions of people in the UK with their favourite organic vegetables.