Delight as youth group granted lease on community hall
- Credit: Archant
Cambridgeshire County Council has agreed to lease a key community building in Ely to a youth group.
Councillors on the general purposes committee approved an application from the Youth Ely Hub to lease Centre E, in Barton Road, on a peppercorn rent for a period of up to five years.
The building, described by the county council as a former Army drill hall, has faced an uncertain future in recent years as the county council has explored selling or redeveloping the site into housing.
But, having had little success, county officials were approached by the youth hub – an organisation backed by the City of Ely Council and East Cambridgeshire District Council – about taking on the premises on a short-term rent.
Councillor Elaine Griffin-Singh said she was a former member of a youth club which used to run at the centre and she was particularly keen that it should remain in community hands.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “We want to get the word out that the groups currently using the centre should not be worried about being evicted or seeing their prices hiked.
“We have formed a trust and, with partners, intend to run a fantastic youth facility - the building is huge and will eventually be awesome.”
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 8 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
Cllr Griffin-Singh said that the building was home to a number of teaching classrooms and was equipped for computer facilities and added that she had been approached about running apprenticeships from the venue.